Monday, August 27, 2007

Dear American Press,

When I was reading the previous issue of The Economist today, I stumbled upon some news in the Business This Week section, stating that some of Mattel's toys were recalled due to "impermissible levels of lead" in its toy cars and "potential safety risks" in up to 18.2m toys containing small magnet pieces. On the same note, Nokia identified a dodgy batch of 46m batteries supplied by a Japanese firm (but made somewhere else).

What struck me was, they made sure they highlighted the point that they were all made in China. And I also recalled some comic strips in Conde Nast's Portfolio website regarding the same issue of Made in China. They had a whole gallery of them.

To Americans, I'm sure this is nothing new already.

To me, I can imagine how naive but convenient it is for you Americans to claim such things.

First of all, let's not do stats, but just a simple percentage calculation. Why are there so many problems with these Made in China things? Because most of the things are made in China. So when something is faulty, wouldn't you expect the chances of it being from China to be rather high? I think yes.

Are you blaming the Chinese? I don't know.
To you producers:
I'm sure you sent some of the manufacturing operations to China because it is relatively cheap. So if the press cares so much about people's well-being, hey, maybe you should consider pulling the plants away from China. Manufacture somewhere else, let it be more expensive, so long as your Americans don't get hurt.
To you consumers:
Check the label. Made in China? Say no. Wanna be ahead? Dump whatever Made in China stuff you have. Boycott them altogether.

Convenience. In the midst of your bad economy and just as shit a forecast, I bet I can understand why the press is trying to shift people's attention away from home.

In this small world, we need each other.

I'm not trying to ask you to boycott Chinese products. Because that's what the press is already doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home